USA Banner

Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

U.S. Department of Transportation U.S. Department of Transportation Icon United States Department of Transportation United States Department of Transportation

Interpretation Response #09-0234 ([Donaldson Company] [Mr. Tom Zweber])

Below is the interpretation response detail and a list of regulations sections applicable to this response.

Interpretation Response Details

Response Publish Date:

Company Name: Donaldson Company

Individual Name: Mr. Tom Zweber

Location State: MN Country: US

View the Interpretation Document

Response text:

December 1, 2009




Mr. Tom Zweber

Donaldson Company

9250 W. Bloomington Freeway

Bloomington, MN 55431

Ref. No. 09-0234

Dear Mr. Zweber:

This responds to your October 15, 2009 request for clarification of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171-180). Specifically, you ask whether placards are required for a shipment of less than 1,000 pounds of hazardous materials in a company vehicle that will be transported to another company building two blocks from your main campus. In addition, you ask if the driver of a company vehicle transporting two quarts of isopropal alcohol must have a commercial driver's license (CDL) with a hazardous materials endorsement.

In accordance with § 172.504(c), placards are not required on a transport vehicle or freight container that contains less than 1,001 pounds aggregate gross weight of the hazardous materials listed in Table 2 in § 172.504(e)(2) when packaged in non-bulk packagings. Placards are required for hazardous materials in bulk packagings, hazardous materials transported on a transport vehicle or freight container in non-bulk packagings with an aggregate gross weight of 1,001 pounds of greater, and any quantity of the hazardous materials listed in Table 1 in § 172.504((e)(2).

Regulations governing licensing requirements for commercial drivers are in 49 CFR Part 383. A commercial driver must have a CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement if he or she transports hazardous materials required to be placarded under the HMR or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR part 73. A driver need not have a CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement if he or she is transporting a package

containing two quarts of isopropal alcohol. Specific questions about commercial driver licensing requirements should be directed to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) at 202-366-6121.

I hope this answers your inquiry. If you need additional assistance, do not hesitate to contact this office.


Charles E. Betts

Chief, Standards Development

Office of Hazardous Materials Standards


Regulation Sections

Section Subject
172.504 General placarding requirements