Requesting an Approval
All Approval Applications
Must be sent to:
Associate Administrator for Hazardous Materials Safety
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE East Building, 2nd Floor
Washington, DC 20590-0001
- Identify Section of the Regulations for which approval or registration is being made.
- If required by the Regulations, submit a lab report, safety data report, etc..
- Provide contact information such as name, street, city, state, email address and telephone number of person on whose behalf the application is being made.
- If applicant is not a resident of U.S., designation of agent for service in accordance with 49 CFR 105.40.
- Description of activity for which approval/registration is required.
- The proposed duration of the approval/registration.
- The transport mode or modes affected, as applicable.
- Any additional information specified in the section applicable.
- For an approval that provides exceptions from regulatory requirements or prohibitions:
- Identification of increased risk of safety or property that may result if the approval is granted.
- Specification of the measures that the applicant considers necessary or appropriate to address risk.
- Substantiation, with appropriate analyses, evaluations costs, etc.
- Demonstration that proposed activity will achieve a level of safety that is at least equal to that required by the Regulations.
- A comparison of what the Regulations require vs. what is being proposed.
UN 3rd Party Applications
Must also include:
- Name and Address
- Test Plan
- Reference Standards
- Personnel Qualification Plan
- The following statements:
- That you will perform your function independent of the manufacturers and owners of the packagings. By including this statement, the applicant agrees that he will not certify his own packagings as aa certification agency.
- That you will allow a representative of PHMSA inspect your records and facilities insofar as they related to the approval or certification and will cooperate in the inspection.
- That you will bear the expenses of an inspection of your testing facility.