USA Banner

Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

U.S. Department of Transportation U.S. Department of Transportation Icon United States Department of Transportation United States Department of Transportation

Interpretation Response #10-0011 ([Mr. Michael Coletta])

Below is the interpretation response detail and a list of regulations sections applicable to this response.

Interpretation Response Details

Response Publish Date:

Company Name:

Individual Name: Mr. Michael Coletta

Location State: NY Country: US

View the Interpretation Document

Response text:

March 15, 2010





Mr. Michael Coletta

444 Lakeview Avenue

Rockville Centre, NY 11570

Ref. No. 10-0011

Dear Mr. Coletta:

This responds to your December 18, 2009 letter requesting clarification of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171-180). Specifically, you ask if you may use a flexible intermediate bulk container (FIBC) to transport non-hazardous household municipal solid waste (MSW).

The answer is yes. Non-hazardous MSW is not regulated as a hazardous material under the HMR; thus, the packaging requirements in the HMR do not apply to shipments of non-hazardous MSW. You may wish to check with your state or municipal authorities to ascertain if state or local requirements apply to such shipments.

I hope this answers your inquiry. If you need additional assistance, please contact this Office on 202-366-8553.


Charles E. Betts

Chief, Standards Development

Office of Hazardous Materials Standards

171.1, 172.101

Regulation Sections

Section Subject
171.1 Applicability of Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) to persons and functions
172.101 Purpose and use of hazardous materials table