USA Banner

Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

U.S. Department of Transportation U.S. Department of Transportation Icon United States Department of Transportation United States Department of Transportation

Interpretation Response #07-0124 ([Taylor Express, Inc.] [Mr. Roderick MacLean])

Below is the interpretation response detail and a list of regulations sections applicable to this response.

Interpretation Response Details

Response Publish Date:

Company Name: Taylor Express, Inc.

Individual Name: Mr. Roderick MacLean

Location State: NC Country: US

View the Interpretation Document

Response text:

Mr. Roderick MacLean                          Ref. No.: 07-0124

Taylor Express, Inc.

P.O. Box 1806

Hope Mills, NC 28348

Dear Mr. MacLean:

This is in response to your letter dated June 8, 2007 concerning the placarding requirements of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171-180) and driver licensing and endorsement requirements. Specifically, you ask (1) if placards are required to be displayed on 2,500 lb. super sacks containing sulfur powder when offered for transportation in commerce; and, (2) if a driver carrying this hazardous material must have a commercial driver"s license (CDL) with a hazmat endorsement.

A bulk packaging containing sulfur is not required to be placarded if it is marked with the appropriate identification number as required by Part 172, Subpart D (see § 172.102, special provision 30). In addition, Class 9 placards are not required to be displayed for domestic transportation (see § 172.504(f)(9)).

Requirements for drivers to possess a CDL with a hazmat endorsement are maintained by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in 49 CFR Part 383. Questions regarding FMCSA regulations should be directed to the appropriate FMCSA field office. A list of FMCSA field offices and contact information is available at:

I hope this information is helpful.


John A. Gale

Chief, Standards Development

Office of Hazardous Materials Standards



Regulation Sections

Section Subject
172.504 General placarding requirements