Office of Pipeline Safety
The Office of Pipeline Safety (OPS) carries out a national program to ensure the safe, reliable, and environmentally-sound operation of the Nation’s pipeline transportation system.
U.S. Department of Transportation
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
East Building, 2nd Floor
Mail Stop: E24-455
1200 New Jersey Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20590
The Office of Pipeline Safety:
- Supports the operation of, and coordinates with, the United States Coast Guard on the National Response Center. Also serves as a DOT liaison with the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency on matters involving pipeline safety.
- Develops and maintains partnerships with other Federal, state, and local agencies, public interest groups, tribal governments, and the regulated industry and other underground utilities to address threats to pipeline integrity, service, and reliability and to share responsibility for the safety of communities.
- Administers Pipeline Safety regulatory programs and establishes the regulatory agenda. Develops regulatory policy options and initiatives, and researches, analyzes, and documents social, economic, technological, environmental, safety, and security impacts upon existing/proposed regulatory, legislative, or program activities involving pipeline safety.
- Oversees pipeline operator implementation of risk management and risk-based programs. Administers a national pipeline inspection and enforcement program.
- Provides technical and resource assistance for state pipeline safety programs to ensure oversight of intrastate pipeline systems and educational programs at the local level.
- Supports the development and conduct of pipeline safety training programs for Federal and state regulatory and compliance staff and the pipeline industry.
- Serves as focal point for pipeline safety studies and reports by the National Transportation Safety Board, DOT Inspector General, and Government Accountability Office and other oversight and/or stakeholder entities.
OPS Organizational Chart (PDF)
Pipeline Job Openings
|Pipeline Safety Offices
|Information & Analysis
National Standards Coordinator
Enforcement& Program Performance
Training & Qualifications
Engineering & Emergency Support
Last Updated: Mar 24, 2015