If you chose Initial registration, you must complete the form that appears after you click on the Next button. If you chose Renewal, most of the form will be automatically filled in with the information in the record on file for the most recent registration period. You can correct or add any information on the form other than the Registration Date Range, the Business Category and Fee information, the current Registration # (the number for the latest registration period), and the mailing and physical address Country, which have been inserted from the responses you supplied on the previous page. If you need to correct the Registration Date Range, Business Category, or Country information, use your Internet browser's Back button to return to the previous page, click on the Reset button at the bottom of the page, and re-enter the years, NAICS code, business category, and country information before clicking on the Next button.
1. Type of Registration: The type of Registration and the Current Registration # (if the type is Renewal or Amendment) will be filled in by the program.
2 and 3. Name and Address of Registrant: Enter your business name and the mailing address of the principal place of business. If your physical address is different from the mailing address, supply the physical address in the indicated places. If you use a Post Office box as your mailing address, you must enter a physical address. If your company is operating under a "Doing Business As" (DBA) name, you may use whichever of the names is most appropriate for your business. A certificate of registration displaying this name, and any necessary correspondence, will be mailed to the mailing address entered here.
The country you entered on the previous page will be displayed. If you indicated a mailing address in the United States, Canada, or Mexico, the State/Province/Territory box will provide a drop-down list of the states/provinces in the indicated country. The District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands are listed as USA States in accordance with the Department of Transportation's official definition of "state". If your mailing address is in a country other than the USA, Canada, or Mexico, and a state, province, or territory is an integral part of the address, you can enter it into the box provided.
4. Registrant's USDOT Number, MC/MX Number, or Railroad Alphabetic Code: If you have any of these identification numbers, enter them. If you do not have one or more of these numbers, leave the corresponding space blank. To verify a USDOT number or MC/MX number (the "operating authority", formerly the ICC number), click on the link provided to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's (FMCSA) SAFER company snapshot service. That site can also be used to obtain either of these numbers: click on "FMCSA Registration & Updates" under "FMCSA Services."
5. Mode(s) Used to Transport Hazardous Materials: Mark all the ways you moved hazardous materials during the calendar year ending last December. If you are a carrier, mark only the mode(s) you used to transport hazardous materials. If you are a shipper or other offeror, mark all modes used to transport shipments offered by your company.
6. Business Category: The Business Category questions will be automatically filled in from the responses you provided on the previous page.
7. Registration Period: The registration period you designated on the previous page will be displayed.
8. Registration Fees: The appropriate fee for the registration period and the business category you specified will be displayed.
The one-year fee for registration years 1992-1993 through 1999-2000 is $300, regardless of business category. Only single-year registrations are permitted for these years.
For registration periods beginning with the 2000-2001 year and later, the registration fee is determined by the number of years you requested (one, two, or three), the business category, and the fee established for the years and category. For 2000-2001, 2001-2002, and 2002-2003, the business category depends on whether your company qualifies as an SBA small business. Starting with 2003-2004, it also depends on whether or not your company is a not-for-profit organization, that is, an organization exempt from taxation under 26 U.S.C. 501(a).
A link to the table of the appropriate fees for all possible year and business category combinations is provided on the statement page.
9. Hazardous Materials Activities: Prior-Year Survey Information: Use this part of the form to record your hazardous materials activities during the calendar year ending December 31 of the year preceding the beginning year of the registration period you indicated - the "prior" year. For example, if you are registering for the 2012-2013 registration period, report on activities your company engaged in between January 1 and December 31, 2011. Even if you engaged in none of the hazardous materials activities described here during that year, if you intend to do so this year you must register and pay the appropriate fee (mark category G).
Item 9 defines six categories of hazardous materials activities that require registration. Mark each category that your company engaged in during the prior calendar year. Shipments of materials included in Categories A, B, C, D, or E should not also be included in Category F, even though in most instances such shipments require placarding. For instance, if your only hazardous materials activity is carrying more than 55 lbs. of Division 1.1 explosives, you should mark only Category B, not B and F. If, however, your only activity is shipping hazardous materials in quantities that require placarding that are not included in Categories A through E, mark only Category F. If you carry both shipments of more than 55 lbs. of Division 1.1 explosives and shipments of hazardous materials not included in Categories A through E, not in bulk packagings, of more than 1,000 lbs. but less than 5,000 lbs., you would mark both Categories B and F. If you are registering for a year prior to 2000-2001, you do not need to mark Category F even if you engaged in that activity during the applicable prior calendar year. Activity in Category F requires registration only beginning with Registration Year 2000-2001.
For each of the categories A, B, C, D, E, or F that you marked, also indicate whether you handled the hazardous material as a Shipper, Carrier, or Other. Check as many as apply. "Other" should be marked by persons other than the shipper or carrier who perform or are responsible for performing any of the pre-transportation functions required by the hazardous materials regulations. This includes freight forwarders, agents, freight consolidators, etc.
Below the six categories of activities there is a list of the U.S. states and territories. Indicate the abbreviation for each state or territory in which you engaged in any of the six categories of activities.
If you checked "carrier," mark all states in which you operated as a carrier of that category of hazardous material. If you checked "shipper" or "other," mark only those states from which you offered hazardous materials - you need not indicate states to which or through which the materials were transported. Registrants operating in all of the "lower 48" states may mark "48 Contiguous States." (This excludes Alaska, Hawaii, the District of Columbia, and our five territories, which must be marked individually, if appropriate).
Remember, if you did not engage during the prior year in any of the activities described in categories A through F, check category G.
10. Certification of Information: Your name in item 10 certifies that the information on this form is true, accurate, and complete. BE ADVISED that false statements may violate the law (18 U.S.C. 1001). The person whose name is given should be an appropriate representative of the registrant. Correspondence regarding registration, including the certificate of registration and next year's form and instructions, will be addressed to this individual. The e-mail address provided here will be used only for purposes directly related to PHMSA¿s hazardous materials safety programs, including the registration program.
You will be able to print the certificate for this registration at the end of the process if you pay by credit/debit card and, whether you pay by credit/debit card or by electronic check, a copy of the certificate will be e-mailed to the e-mail address you supply on the payment page. You can return to this site at any time and print a certificate for a completed registration by using the Company Look-up option. However, if you do not have a functioning printer, you can request that we mail you a certificate by clicking the box provided.
PRINT THE STATEMENT
You are required to keep a copy of your registration statement and registration certificate for three years at your principal place of business. Before leaving the statement page you should use your Internet browser's Print function to print the statement. You can then click on the Add To Cart button.
PAYMENT AND CERTIFICATE
After completing the registration statement, you will be taken to a Shopping Cart page, which lists your completed items. You can use the View/Edit option to return to a shopping cart item and review or correct information. If you edit an item, be sure to click on the Update Cart Item button at the bottom of the statement page to record the changes. You can use the Delete option on the Shopping Cart page to remove an item from your shopping cart.
If you want to register for another registration period or for another company, you may use the Purchase Another Registration button. Or you may proceed to the payment page by choosing either the Check Out Using Credit/Debit Card button or the Check Out Using ACH (Electronic Check) button. Choosing to pay by credit or debit card will enable you to print a certificate after a successful credit or debit card payment. Payment can be made by debit card only if the debit card displays a VISA or MasterCard logo. ACH payments usually take one business day to clear through the banking system, but may take one or two additional days. A registration number and a certificate will not be produced until the payment has been verified. Whether payment is by credit/debit card or by ACH, an e-mail confirming the order will be sent to the e-mail address you provide on the payment page. When payment is made by credit card, this e-mail will contain a copy of the certificate in .pdf format. When payment is made by ACH, the e-mail will confirm that a registration statement has been submitted. A second e-mail will be sent after the payment has been verified to confirm that the payment has been completed and this e-mail will contain a copy of the certificate in .pdf format.
After you have been taken to the appropriate secure payment page, enter the required information, including an e-mail address, and click on Submit Payment.
If the payment information has been processed promptly, you will be taken to a Thank You page. If payment was made by credit or debit card, this page will display an Order Number, the company name(s), the registration period(s), and the newly issued Registration Number(s). Clicking on View/Print will display the registration certificate, which you should print for your records and use. An e-mail confirming the order, with a copy of the certificate(s) in .pdf format, will be sent to the e-mail address you supplied on the payment page.
If payment was made by ACH, the Thank You page will not display a registration number, but it will include an Order Number, the company name(s), and the registrations period(s). An e-mail confirming the submission of a registration statement will be sent to the e-mail address given on the payment page. This e-mail will contain the Order Number, the company name(s), the registration period(s), and the associated fee(s). When the ACH payment has been verified (usually the next business day after the submission but possibly one or two days later), an e-mail with a copy of the certificate in .pdf format will be sent to the e-mail address you supplied on the payment page. For ACH payments, you can return to the main Hazardous Materials Registration page and use the ACH Verification service to check whether payment has been verified and a certificate is available (see the section on ACH Verification).
Occasionally there is a delay in processing the payment information. If this should occur, a message that the payment is taking longer than expected will be displayed. You will be advised that we will resubmit the payment later, and an e-mail confirming the payment, with the registration certificate attached if payment is made by credit or debit card, will be sent after the payment is successful. If the payment is not successful, an e-mail will be sent informing you that the payment failed and giving you a link to a page from which you can re-enter your payment information.